My travels is all about... My views, thoughts and experiences on/about/at/with random places of interest, persons, things, events, issues etc,. I am an eternal student with a restless mind and a tumultuous heart!

Thursday, April 23, 2020

The Pleasure of Reading...

(On the eve of the World Book and Copyright day - 23rd of April, 2020)


An endearing aroma that matches the gentle rustle of old pages, a natural calm that comforts the surroundings...surely book-reading is a superbly satisfying hobby, if not a superior one. Reading does not necessarily inspire good in us, but it does give a perspective of humility and humbleness.

For one, a book takes you places, literally. I have never been to Cold War Era's Moscow. Well, I wasn't even born during the Cold War. But after reading Frederick Forsyth's novels, I feel certain that I know Kutuzovsky Prospect and Zharzhinsky Square - however arrogant and absurd be the proposition. Secondly, there is something about a book - that sweet sense of control as you'd pace it at your own time. Yet, ironically, there's a certain charm in being a mute witness to the triumphs and travails presented by the author.

These wonderful companions of fiction and non fiction preserved my sanity and protected my solitude. Thank God for books!

My Picks - English - Top Three - (As on 23/04/2020)
Detective/Thriller/Mystery Fiction
1. The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth
2. And then there were none by Agatha Christie
3. The Godfather by Mario Puzo
Classic Fiction
1. In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust
2. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Marcia Marquez
3. Selected Short stories of Edgar Allan Poe
Indian (Fiction/Classic/Non Fiction)
1. A Train to Pakistan by Kushwant Signh
2. Half Lion by Sitaram
3. Autobiography of Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan






Maheeth V,
23rd of April, 2020,.
Palakollu

2 comments: