My travels is all about... My views, thoughts and experiences on/about/at/with random places of interest, persons, things, events, issues etc,. I am an eternal student with a restless mind and a tumultuous heart!

Thursday, September 26, 2019

A coward's march to victory...

(For almost 500 years, the dynasty of Eastern Chalukyas ruled from Vengi, Bikkavolu and Rajamahendravaram - all in modern day Andhra Pradesh. Most of the time, they were forced to play second fiddle to competitors like Cholas, Western Chalukyas, Eastern Gangas, Rashtrakutas and were relegated as tax paying feudatories.Yet, for some brief time during the 9th Century, facing insane odds, their greatest emperor Gunaga Vijayaditya rose to prominence, which gave a semblance of respect to them. Gunaga's generals went on to defeat Rashtrakutas, subdjugate rebel feudals and these 'Chanda Chalukyas' had no opponent from Pulicat Lake to the Vindhya mountains. But, Gunaga had a rough beginning - he had to face a civil war against rival claimants and relatives. Initially, he had to flee the kingdom and wandered as a depressed coward with little hope, waiting and waiting...In his own words)

Warriors (Stone/Rock) - Eastern Chalukyas - Kakinada Museum

I wonder why 'Victory' was added to my name, and I never tasted even a little success?
A cruel joke of destiny, that's played on me, a petty pawn in the game of chess.
I'm cast away like a shipwrecked man, and I thought I was a Prince loved by all.
Now, I realize they only lust after power, and I'm just a pampered naive doll.

Armies of all kingdoms from all directions raid our beloved cities for tributes and glory,
But our forces only take sides in disastrous succession battles - what a  tomfoolery!
My ancestors held lofty titles - all nice lies, their bulging fragile egos overspent...
And here I am, their grand successor, wandering in forests, pursued by my own men.

An uncertain life of a Prince in exile - that's what that's before me,
A clueless coward or a cunning conspirator ? Right now, I'm just a survivor per se,
My life is in dark, let the dawn come and I'll live through hell if need be,
Let the beasts of the forest be a testimony of this coward's march to victory!

One of the ruined temples supposedly built by Gunaga Vijayaditya at Bikkavolu (c.9th Century CE)

No comments:

Post a Comment