My travels is all about... My views, thoughts and experiences on/about/at/with random places of interest, persons, things, events, issues etc,. I am an eternal student with a restless mind and a tumultuous heart!

Friday, January 29, 2021

The Fall of Golconda

(In the late seventeenth century, 'Zindapir' Alamgir Aurangzeb, the Mughal Emperor finally conquered Qutub Shahi Sultanate after a prolonged and pyrhhic siege of Golconda, finally realizing the Century old fantasy of direct Mughal Imperial domination over Deccan, however short lived. In his own words after the fall of Golconda...)
 
Aurangzeb at Siege of Golconda - from A.Truschke's book

Day in and day out, the flames of ambition kept me alive, 
and the lust for conquest is a desire that made me thrive.
What disdain men had for me, despite me brimming with competence
and what mockery women made of me, when I simply abhorred the opulence!
 
O Proud Princes of the Deccan, look how I smashed your pride, 
as my Mansabdars and Musketeers persisted and tricked.
The Diamonds of Krishna are of no value to the Shahs of South, 
as my cannons chipped your fort, brick by brick, in a battle so foul!
 
When strength deserted my troops, I carried on and on and on, 
Patient and pious, yet I imposed my imperial will for a cause long forgone. 
In future, My travails and travels would be laughed upon,
But the legacy of the Great Mughals is not forlorn!
 
 
Poem - The Fall of Golconda 


Maheeth Veluvali, 
Friday, 29th of January, 2021.,
16 Saladi Jamindar Street, 
Palakollu,.

No comments:

Post a Comment