My travels is all about... My views, thoughts and experiences on/about/at/with random places of interest, persons, things, events, issues etc,. I am an eternal student with a restless mind and a tumultuous heart!

Monday, August 17, 2020

Dhoni - A Tribute

Dhoni in action - ICC CWC Final, 2011 - Credits to Sportstar, The Hindu
Dhoni in action - ICC CWC Final, 2011 - Credits to Sportstar, The Hindu

 

April  2005 - Pakistan were touring India, and the stage was set for the second ODI at Vizag's ACA-VDCA Stadium (Much later, the stadium was renamed as Dr YS Rajasekhara Reddy Stadium). During the first innings i.e, Indian innings - at one down, the new wicket-keeper was promoted. The only problem I had that day, as with many other people who watched the game, was with the name. It must be Tony, I heard as my junior class boys raved about his batting. It was the beginning of a cult - Mahendra Singh Dhoni! Cricket in India is a sacrificial arena where new Gods are born and old Gods whither - the eleven Gods were expected to entertain and perform every single day. Heroic exploits on field were cherished but winning games - something that we lagged then, didn't seem to bother us. But the new boy was exhilarating. His carefree batting did not confirm to bookish standards and that was all that mattered, or so it seemed...

 

September 2007 - The 50 over World Cup was a disaster for India. After a tragic but necessary turn of events, Dhoni was made the Captain of the T-20 World Cup team. And the era of captain cool had just begun! This was when I truly learnt that all the aggression, rage, intent in the world is nothing when you don't possess a cool and calming brain - the ability to remain level headed and be dictated by logic rather than emotions. And how would I forget the final with the arch-rivals - I was in my Intermediate - AP residential junior college at Nagarjuna Sagar. We got to listen to the dying moments of the game, thanks to the cell phones and radios of our lecturers, and as Ravi Shastri started shouting 'Andd there is Shreeshaaaant....!', we went berserk with joy. What calculated gambles that man behind the stumps took that day! And something strange happened - his calmness rubbed off - we started winning games big time. I'm not an expert to discern if India really had the right balanced team at that point of time, but some if not the greater part of the credit goes to the Captain cool. From 2008 till 2011, Team India had a steady rise. And, the new hero, thanks to the nerves of steel,  marked himself with distinction as a finisher sharing the likes of Michael Beavan - a desperate role India needed in ODIs. 


April 2011 - It was the World Cup Final. I've had to work that day, and for the greater part of the Indian innings (Night), I was in a buss that took me from my work place Vijayawada to my home town Palakollu. I missed most of the Mahi magic that went on at Wankhade, on live. But, what a day it was as India lifted the cup! And again, those riveting words of Ravi Shastri, 'Dhooni finishes it off in style' still ring in my ears. Life came a full circle for the hard core Indian cricket fans. And the man of the moment didn't hog any limelight - a lesson in class!

 

August 2020 - Dhoni went on to lift the 2013 Champions Trophy on behalf of India - the only captain till date to hold all the three ICC trophies - World Cup, T-20 World Cup and Champions Trophy. Over time, he became more cautious in his batting - a usual trait of a senior middle order batsman. He became the poster boy of IPL. His performance behind the wickets however got better. And one fine day in Manchester, as India was simply outclassed by New zealand, his cautious but valiant efforts ended in a heart breaking run-out. I was passing through the city  (Vijayawada)  where I missed Dhoni's exploits of 2011 World Cup Final, when a quick check on twitter confirmed the news that was doing rounds as a rumour since so long - the retirement of Dhoni. And a whiff of nostalgia descended upon me. 

 

Thank you Dhoni!

 

 

 

Maheeth Veluvali, 

Monday - 17th of August, 2020.

Palakollu,.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment